In This Episode
- Why does ‘storytelling’ matter when conveying information?
- What is the process to go from ‘brain dump’ to clear, inspired idea?
- What is the core element of storytelling?
- Top tips for editing your content or story down to ‘what matters most’?
- What is an ENFJ & why do you need one?
- Who should you seek feedback from & who should you avoid?
- What makes vulnerability the secret storytelling sauce?
- How to know what’s ‘compelling’ and what’s ‘oversharing’
- How + why ‘Urban Legends’ spread like wildfire
- How do you choose stories that are both compelling + good for making money
- Why ‘narrowing your audience’ is really about more, not less
- How to get over the fear of speaking to a very specific ‘niche’ audience
- Why connecting with clients through ‘core values’ makes EVERYTHING better
- How can you break into the Tedx community?
+ Tedx: Ideas Worth Spreading
+ Made to Stick: Why some ideas survive and others die [Book]
+ Robyn Arouty: One of Tara’s clients, a wonderful example of storytelling in a unique & compelling way.
+ Simon Sinek’s famous ‘Start with Why’ Ted talk
Notes from Nic:
The Animalhaus philosophy and most of the courses I teach start with one essential topic: ‘discovering your why’. If you’ve not seen Simon Sinek’s “How Great Leaders Inspire Action” Ted talk about ‘starting with why’ then click the link above and go watch it right now [It will be 18 minutes very well-spent!]
My book “Million Dollar Dog Brand”, one-on-one mentorship program start with this concept as well, because when you’re building a personal brand, or you’re an entrepreneur seeking alignment between your business and life – you simply MUST start by understanding what drives you, BEFORE you move on to ‘who do you sell to’ and ‘what do you sell’. This simply doesn’t occur to most of us, we instinctively start with ‘the thing’ and then think of ways to ‘sell the thing’ without ever really addressing why the thing is life-changing [which is what obviously matters to someone interested in buying the thing!] This is storytelling. This is clarity. This ‘starting with why’ and moving out from there – it is the opposite of our natural instinct as sellers, but core to our decision-making as buyers.
Of course, unearthing your ‘why’, when you’ve been trained, taught and coerced into fitting YOU into whatever little ‘business box’ you’ve decided on [I am a dog trainer and that means, x, y, z or I sell dog products so I must do x, y, z] can be a difficult, drawn-out process. For mentors like myself and Tara, this is our great skill, so it can be a wonderful stage of your journey to hire a mentor or coach, to help lead you down the journey of self-discovery. Regardless of where you are in your business, I wanted to share some exercises that I use with my clients, to help you get you started digging around in your Why. Set aside a few hours this week to dig around in these documents and give them a go! It all starts with this complex question… “Who am I and What is my story?”
P.S. For a limited time you can also apply for a FREE ‘Why’ consultation with Nic: #pimpmywhy