Today I want to tell you a really inspiring story about a really inspiring gal.
Her name is Beth, she’s a wife, mom and a really accomplished dog groomer who lives in New Jersey. She owns a super successful multi-location dog spa called Planet Poodle.
>> Want to see Beth tell it herself? Check out this LIVE interview with Beth on my Facebook page over here.
The REASON I want to tell you this story, is because as a Whyfinder and a niche branding expert who helps her clients find freedom and fulfilment (instead of burnout and overwhelm) – I am always passionate about sharing the wins of my people, especially when the make it look easy. Especially when they STEP UP in times of chaos and crises.
I’m going to be honest with you…
it often doesn’t feel easy… but it CAN BE EASY.
It can be really simple, when we focus, get help, and take inspired action.
The reason I am sharing this story NOW, is that one of my favorite resources is to help you get leverage in your business… to turn a niche brand into freedom and fulfilment through recurring revenue (the ULTIMATE upgrade from just 1-to-1 products) is about to launch.
I want to encourage you to join this workshop and make use of all the genius Stu is giving away for free, by showing you what’s possible when you have the right mentors and communities.
So today I am going to share Beth’s story about how she leveraged me and the TRIBE course (the worlds best resource if you’re interested in building a membership site or subscription-style service) to save her brick & mortar business and pay her team when when Corona hit recently and closed her doors.
Beth is one of my fabulous high-level clients and Momentum Mastermind members, and as I mentioned, she has a very successful, multi-location brick & mortar grooming business in New Jersey.
Normally her business is is maxed at capacity – totally flying – generating significant revenue. However, since she’s really passionate about not just providing jobs, but building careers for her team, she also has significant payroll costs as well. Plus, in the background for the last year she’s been investing everything she’s got in a brand spankin’ new (huge and amazing) facility – so she currently has no cash safety net.
On March 24th, when the Covid lockdown order finally came in and she had to close her doors (before that they had been doing curb-side drop-off and pick-up to minimize contact), I received this message from her:
Now, let me backup for a second to tell you a little more about Beth.
First of all, she has incredible passion and know-how. She’s got street cred as one of the most experienced, highly respected, award-winning groomers in the States. I mean literally, she was a member of the United States Groom Team, which represents the top 10 groomers in the country, as well as being the recipient of the ‘International Groomer of the Year’ award. So, she’s hot stuff. But critically, she’s also got moxie.
She Gets. It. Done.
I absolutely loved working with Beth 1:1 through my consulting program to help her bring her new brand to life (to coincide with the new mega facility she’s been building in the background for nearly a year now) Here’s a little sneak peek of her new project, from my #1 logo design partner, FUZE:
Beth ALSO joined TRIBE last year and because she did so through me, she got to participate in an awesome in-person workshop in Toronto just before TRIBE LIVE (one of my favorite-ever conferences- free with purchase of Tribe)- So she’s been working on her membership model for nearly a year – but she hasn’t yet launched it, as she’s still tweaking the details and planning for it to coincide with the launch of her new brand and new amazing location. But despite that fact that her membership isn’t live, she’s been leveraging her membership in my Mastermind AND the TRIBE community to help her grow in other ways (which I’ll go into more detail about in a sec)…
One of my FAVORITE moments with Beth, was as TRIBE LIVE last year, she stood up during a Q+A sesh and basically challenged Stu to a duel!! Haha declaring she was coming for him and was some day going to beat his $5.2 million launch – which I LOVED! I was so proud of her for thinking and dreaming big big big – and with what she’s got planned, I don’t doubt her at all.
So, suffice it to say, Beth is a Rockstar.
So when she reached out to me last month, I knew she really needed help.
Beth is very self-sufficient but I could tell her usual carefree, moving forward with no fear self, was really worried. Of course she was, we all are right now! But knowing how much she’s been investing into her new facility – I knew she probably wouldn’t have much cash in savings to float her through the lockdown.
But despite this fear, what’s great about Beth is that for someone who is such a rockstar, she’s also really open minded and coachable – so it’s quite fun to bounce ideas with her because she doesn’t resist or argue, she doesn’t fight for her excuses, she just takes the great ideas and RUNS with them…
“she doesn’t resist or argue, she doesn’t fight for her excuses, she just takes the great ideas and RUNS with them…”
So in about 40 min back and forth on FB messenger, we figured out a plan:
- Pre-sell VERY simple grooming offers that could be used when the doors open again
- Instead of a discount we used the chance to ‘be the first in line’ as the urgency to get people to pre-buy < SPOILER: This idea ended up being a HUGE win
- She would set up a simple sales page with simple offers for each of 3 dog sizes
- She would set up a free FB group to do free DIY dog grooming tips to support her clients (and anyone else who wanted to join) to try to keep their dogs brushed and unmated so they don’t need to be shaved in a few months time
SIX DAYS LATER on March 30th
She posted this as part of an update in our Tribe group…
“On Friday we sent an email to my list of 1250. I had a 45% open rate!!! But only 6 sales, hmmm.
The next day I did a FB live and mentioned that we had priority booking and they did not want to miss out. I instantly started momentum.
I them started texting my clients, this is the communication they are used to, and asked if they had questions. More momentum!
So in 48 hours:
- I sold 75 appointments to only 50 clients, some bought 5.
- I still have over 1000 active clients to reach out to!!
- For a total of $7365.36
- If I do the membership math that’s $88,384.32 annually, when I convert to a membership model for my business. Obviously a huge no brainer!
What I learned:
- Just get it going
- Show up for your audience
- When something isn’t working, look at the message and tweak it
- Get feedback from the people you are serving.
Stay tuned for next week I can’t wait to see where my numbers are”
Then… about 3 weeks later… April 20th
“For all of you amazing Tribers who have followed my progress over the last 30 days and cheered me on, here is the latest update:
Background: Brick and Mortar pet grooming salons closed due to Covid resulting in $0 income coming in.
Action: pivoted my mindset to “How” instead of “Can’t”, and focused on the problem.
Results: $30,471.12, which in member math is $365,653.44 annually!!
I LOVE TRIBE!!!
I have another huge win coming in the next post ….”
She shared another post all about how she was featured in the local news which EXPLODED the free FB group (now at 400+ members) where she and a few of her team are doing free DIY dog grooming videos for dog owners stuck at home with mucky and matted pups!!!
WIN WIN WIN!!!!
Not only has she made payroll several times over, but with the momentum she’s created from not only her existing clients who come to her brick and mortar, but also, unexpectedly, dog owners from around the world using her and her team’s free tips, she’s going to shift her business model into not one but TWO subscription-based membership models – one for in-person grooming, and one for online grooming DIY support.
All of this is perfectly aligned with the new brand and facility she’s building so she’ll have a wonderful audience to launch with when she shifts into the new brand.
She’s already made $30k
because of her investment in me and Tribe – and she hasn’t even LAUNCHED a MEMBERSHIP YET!!
So the advice I want to leave you with today is:
- Get help. Ask for support. Reach out. NONE of US who are growing, expanding and surviving right now are doing it alone.
- Invest in mentors and coaches and programs with people who have DONE what you want to DO and bring together a supportive community. Between the TRIBE community and I, Beth had exactly what she needed to get out of fear and into action, with some win/win GENIUS ideas that would tap into the psychology of her client to give them what they REALLY wanted (which I this case was not a discount, but priority access when she’s open again AND free grooming support not) AND what she needed too (cash for payroll and an audience for future launches) – she didn’t have to pay Stu or TRIBE or I for any of that help because she’d already invested in making sure she had it when she needed it.
- Don’t resist ideas and fight for your excuses, take the good ideas and… Take Inspired Action. Overthinking and resistance are the enemy of success. Just TRY it. Go, do!
- Go grab a seat in the free workshop with Stu and find out for yourself what you might be capable of – what your version of freedom and fulfilment could look like if you had regular, leveraged, recurring revenue coming into YOUR business… and if you decide to join Tribe, I’ll be there to support you and celebrate YOUR amazing wins, and so will Beth!